Research shows that donating funds is a wonderful way to support a nonprofit organization and simply makes you feel good so why not donate to every charity there is if you have the passion to help and, well, the means?
First, let’s discuss why we donate. Donating to a charitable organization allows us to make a difference we’re unable to provide with our own hands and unlike with, say, volunteering, we don’t have to be physically there to be able to offer help. Also, let’s not discount the fact that donating money goes a long way in terms of helping provide for the organization’s needs.
Now that you are interested in donating, let’s identify the things you need to do to make sure the organization is legitimate.
- Website. Make sure that the charity organization has a functioning website with recent activities.
- Social media. Look for any social media presence (e.g Instagram, Facebook, Twitter) to check their most recent updates.
- Credentials. Look for Articles of Incorporation, Registration, Licensure – they’re usually found at the bottom of their website or on the About Us page.
- Testimonials. Nowadays, the best way to check the credibility of an organization is by another person’s point of view about their experience. You can do this via Google or if available, they might even have this on their website.
- Affiliations. Check on their affiliations as they usually are affiliated with credible third-party organizations such as the GoAbroad Foundation which helps charitable organizations reach a wider audience.
- Once you’ve checked a charity organization’s credibility, it’s time to contact them via e-mail or phone.
- Ask for their latest Annual Financial Report.
- Ask for a list of where or how your donation will be allocated.
- Check their donation portals. Most organizations use Paypal, Facebook, or JustGiving, which have good security measures.
- Notice the response time. If the organization responds timely, it’s usually a good indicator that they will be reliable for any concerns/issues you may have.
- Finally, you can start donating to the organization of your choice.
The GoAbroad Foundation currently has 3 partners with programs that you can support through donations. Please check these links to find out more about them:
Transforming one rural community at a time. Bringing volunteers from all over the world to explore the beauty of Uganda while helping the locals improve their society.
The African Education Program (AEP) aims to empower the youth of Zambia through Education and Leadership programs with the mission to break the cycle of poverty.
Dedicated to building stronger, more resilient communities in Tacloban City, Leyte, Philippines. Donating to VFV will help make a difference in the Philippines by supporting one of their many community projects and on-going programs.
Know more about us…
The GoAbroad Foundation aims to support organizations that help improve communities, educate those without access to education, spread social justice, and promote equality. Aside from supporting the charities above-mentioned continue on with their mission, we also support fundraising projects for current issues that allow you to reach out to those in need; an example is our fundraiser in support for Ukrainian refugees.